Oct. 26-27: Disney On Ice, Ladies Knight, Zakir Hussain, Freddy Clarke, Trixie Whitley, Headphone, Brit Bennett, Red ... - San Francisco Examiner - San Francisco Examiner *Oct. 26-27: Disney On Ice, Ladies Knight, Zakir Hussain, Freddy Clarke, Trixie Whitley, Headphone, Brit Bennett, Red ...* *San Fr...
Monday, March 16, 2009
Posted by John Zipperer at 1:42 PM
"The Commonwealth Club brings me luck," joked California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger when he spoke at The Club last week. He used his appearance (his second in 12 months) to kick off an energetic campaign to fight for a handful of ballot initiatives that he says will help California stave off another brutal budget fight like the one we just endured; he said that the initiatives, if approved by voters in a special May 19 election, will make the state take money from the boom years to help smooth out the bust years.
If the governor wanted to attract attention with his speech and the audience question-and-answer session (see photo below of Schwarzenegger being asked questions by Commonwealth Club VP Greg Dalton), he succeeded wildly. Press coverage of the event, beginning with a live broadcast over KQED radio in the Bay Area, was extensive, and we've collected just a sampling of it here.
1. The Christian Science Monitor: California's Voters Get Next Say in Budget Battles
2. The Los Angeles Times: Schwarzenegger Begins Campaign for Ballot Measures
3. Bloomberg: California Teachers Plan Rally as 26,000 Warned of Job Cuts
4. The Guardian (UK): Schwarzenegger Urges California Voters to pass Budget Reform Measures
5. CBS 5 (San Francisco): Poll: May Election Nears, Few Focus on Props
6. LAist: Battle Over May 19th Election Props Begins Heated Race
7. San Diego Union-Tribune: State Budget Springs a Leak
8. KQED Capital Notes: "It's the System," Says Guv
(Photos by Amanda Leung)